7/08/2010

Keeping Lettuce Fresh

I always seem to be throwing away produce!!

I heard somewhere that adding a paper towel to your bagged produce helps keep it fresher longer.

I thought I would share what I do. It will keep fresh for 1 1/2 to 2 weeks!!


Start by tearing your greens into pieces, washing and spin them in a salad spinner.

 Tear 2 paper towels but leave them intact. You will also need a Ziploc Bag (GAL)


Place the paper towel with the seam down at the bottom of the ziploc bag.




Add your washed and drained salad greens


Press out all the air and seal!


I know this is probably a silly post, however, I am sure you are tired of spoiled produce too!

Give it a Try!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip...I too get sick of tossing out lettuce. I just recently learned that tearing the lettuce instead of chopping or shredding it makes it last longer. Something about the metal oxidizes the lettuce and makes it brown faster.
Anyway, I am sure to try this out the next head of lettuce I get! :)
Christie

Norma Lee @ Norma Lee Good said...

I saved this post in my reader and 6 jmonths later I am just now getting around to commenting on it. thank you so much for sharing this tip! I always always always forget about the lettuce and have to throw it away. I then tell my hubby to buy more and we go through this whole dance about how he buys it and I never eat it blah blah blah. NOW i know how to make it last! Yeah me! thanks!

Link Within

Blog Widget by LinkWithin